Saturday, July 25, 2009

What happens to a debt incurred overseas?

I am based in the uk and am a uk citizen. I incurred a debt in usa [timeshare] - will the debt collection agency take me to court here? Will they send bailiffs? Will a uk court order me to pay? I have explained to the timeshare company my financial situation; I have never used the timeshare and hoped they might just sell it on - no such luck!

What happens to a debt incurred overseas?
If they do business in UK chances are they have a local UK office or at least local rep. ... so they MIGHT pass it on to a UK Debt Recovery Agency ..





Check the details of your contract very carefully ... it is possible it not enforceable in UK ...





But you should NOT ignore it .. I suggest your write disputing the contract eg. by claiming that the rep. lied to you .. look through any adverts / paperwork you got before you signed up - quite often they will say something like 'its easy to sell unused weeks so you never make a loss' or some other blatant lies that convinced you to buy.





NB. Usually the Timeshare owner (i.e. YOU) has to be the one to take action to 'sell it on' (again, often the Rep will say something like 'if you don't like it we will buy it back / sell it on for you so you can't make a loss' etc. .. )
Reply:They can sell the debt on, for example to a UK solicitor who can take action against you in your local county court. Whether they will or not depends on the amount.

fruit gift baskets

No comments:

Post a Comment