Saturday, April 18, 2009

What is a reasonable amount of debt to have after completing a PhD program?

I%26#039;m working toward a PhD in Political Science. My concentration is International Relations, and I%26#039;d prefer to teach at a large research university. I know about how much faculty members in my field earn, but, frankly...I%26#039;m a little worried about being able to pay off my student loans.





If you%26#039;ve earned your PhD, or if you have information about this topic, what do you think is a reasonable amount of debt to have after you get your PhD? Can you reasonably pay it off on a professor%26#039;s salary?





I know that it would depend on the amount of debt and how much the position pays, but if you can share your experiences, I%26#039;d be appreciative. Thanks.

What is a reasonable amount of debt to have after completing a PhD program?
I really can%26#039;t say, but I was about $5000 in debt after i got my Bachelor%26#039;s, and that was with the Naional Guard paying 100% tuition! (Thank God I got out before Iraq!)





I would expect some debt but if your going to be a professor I doubt you would have much trouble paying it off.





Sorry I can%26#039;t helpe you more, I admire you for going for a PhD.!!!
Reply:If you work while you get your phd (part time), about 20 k in the hole.


No comments:

Post a Comment